Dental implants are perhaps the most sought-after solution for replacing missing teeth. They are composed of a metal stud inserted into the jawbone, and a ceramic crown is placed over it to replace the missing tooth. For several years since the invention of dental implants, they were being used to replace only single teeth. But, the advancements in the field of dentistry have allowed dentists to replace every single tooth in your mouth using a surprisingly small number of implants!
What are all-on-4 implants?
All-on-4 is a tooth replacement solution for patients who have lost a large number of teeth. They are an alternative to dentures, which used to be the only means of replacing multiple missing teeth for several years. As the name suggests, this treatment method uses only four dental implants. The dentist will place four implants in your jawbone at specific positions so that they can hold the prosthetic teeth.
How are all-on-4 implants placed?
When you visit our dental practice for a consultation, the dentist will conduct a thorough diagnosis to understand your oral condition. If any teeth are remaining in the mouth, they will be extracted. Next, the dentist will take scans and x-rays of the mouth to map out the size and contour of the dental ridges. These scans will be used to fabricate the dental prostheses in a short span of time.
Meanwhile, the dentist will administer local anesthesia to numb the gums and jawbone. Incisions will be made on the gums, and small holes will be made in the jawbone where implants will be inserted. The prefabricated prosthetic teeth will be placed on the implants and bonded firmly using dental adhesives. The dentist checks your bite through a bite test, and if any changes are required, they will be made.
What are the advantages of all-on-4 implants?
- The metal implant studs inserted into the jawbone do a great job of holding it intact. They prevent bone deterioration and help to maintain jawbone health.
- The entire process can be completed in a single day. You can visit our practice in the morning and leave with an entirely transformed smile by evening.
- Jawbone size and health do not affect your candidacy for all-on-4 implants.
- You will be able to bite and chew food without any hassle after the treatment. Also, your phonetics will be restored to the ideal condition.
- The appearance of the prosthetic teeth will be so similar to the natural ones that no one will be able to distinguish them. You can talk, smile, or pose for photos without being conscious of your facial appearance.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (703) 461-3000 to have a consultation with our dentists, and we will be happy to help.